Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stewal
stewal

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:05pm

Post Subject: condensation?

Hi Tony: happy New Year. It may be coincidence but after filling up my water tank to the brim the other day I noticed some dampness and drips on the boats baseplate below the joist supporting the stainless steel tank. Access is virtually non existent but I cant feel any damp on the side or top of the tank to indicate a leaking filler or breather. Being a live aboard and given the past months cold, is it possible that this is just condensation below the fordeck? I have had intermittent problems with the breather blocking but as the fire and tiling is on that side, I cant get anywhere near the tank outlet and breather pipes. Do you think it is feasible to get a yard to cut an access plate into the foredeck in order to access the tanks connectors and are they likely to be on the centre top of the tank or on the top of the side which has the filler and breather fittings. Many thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:12pm

Post Subject: condensation?

I am afraid that I can not advise on tanks I have not inspected. My breather is on one side but who knows where yours is. My breather blocked with rust so it did leak, luckily into the well deck locker, so if yours is rusty inside the pipe it could be leak from the breather, but it could just as well be condensation. Ideally you would have a vapour barrier between the accommodation and the under well deck area plus the area being vented. However most boats do not and mine certainly suffered from condensation until I fitted a vapour barrier. I would ask the yard to advise on where to cut the access plate and you want it in a position that will aid you in fitting a new breather if its needed. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.