Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:19pm

Post Subject:

hi experts, I am thinking of adding a back boiler to my fairly new (3 year old)morso sqirrel stove and running on a gravitity fed systemm, as my stove is at the front of the boat,highest point of boat, and the last radiator (only 2 being fitted)will be at the rear of the boat,lowest point of boat, approx; 40ft away, can any one tell what's the minimum height the last radiator can be above the stove's water outlet for the system to run efficently, thank's Alan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:12pm

Post Subject: Gravity heating layout

As far as I am aware it is not the height of the radiator but the vertical rise at the back of the stove that is critical. The higher that rise the stronger the circulation. Although many gravity systems work well with under gunwale top pies I think that in view of your layout I would be tempted to try to run the pipe back at roof height. Please remember you must have a vented system so if the stove runs away and boils it just sprays steam about and not explode. NOW OVER TO ANY CENTRAL HEATING CHAPS OUT THERE. Tony Brooks

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20pm

Post Subject: central heating system

hi tony thanks for your reply, i have made equiries at the chandlers but they seem to be able to sell the products with no technical advice so lets hope as you said the central heating chaps out there could help, so if there is any one that has installed such a system and could offer advice then please reply "yes" to this question and may be we could exchange personel e-mail address's. I have even contacted Morso but they could only send me details on fitting the back boiler to my stove. regards Alan.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:22am

Post Subject:

Alan, If no one comes forward I think that I would run the upper pipe under the gunwale and T the rads of the lower, return, pipe in the same way that single pipe domestic systems used to be done. The main pipe runs must be in at least 28mm pipe. I would not fit ant valves on the rads so the hot water can go where it wants to. I had this system on an Ellis gas boiler and it worked well. In your case the first rad to get the heat would be the one furthest from the stove. I would also make provision to fit a full flow valve into the return with a bypass loop for it and a pump in the bypass loop. That way you could fit & use the pump if gravity does not work well enough. Use a pipe stat with a switch in parallel with it to control the pump. The parallel switch is to energise the pump in the event of pipe stat failure. Because of the importance of the initial rise on the pipe I would be looking to possibly cut a hole in the floor and fitting concrete slabs on top of the existing ballast so the hearth is virtually at floor level rather than raised above it. By adopting the pipe layout suggested it would be relatively easy to raise the upper pipe to roof level if you have to. The way the water circulates through the rads is that the water inside the rad cools so becomes more dense and drops whilst the water in the lower pipe is hotter and thus less dense so a proportion rises up through the 15mm pipe connecting the rad to main pipe. This forces the colder water back into the return pipe. You will find each rad gets progressively less hot but they still do the job and you end up with the colder rad closest to the stove. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.