Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Lorraine
Lorraine

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:33pm

Post Subject: Condensation

We have a 58ft narrowboat that we stay on as often as we can. Through the winter we do suffer with condensation especially in the cupboards and more worryingly along the fixed bed. Is this because we only heat the boat when we are occasionally on board,therefore giving high heat quickly to a cold boat or is this common problem? We do eventually want to live on the boat so I would like to know if this is something I need to consider and take the necessary action. Can you give any advice please. Regards Lorraine

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:06pm

Post Subject: Condensation

Dear Lorraine, I suspect this is when warm air comes into contact with cold surfaces. Warm air holds more water than cold so when the air is cooled it dumps it's water on the cold surface. I also suspect that the problem would reduce considerably once the materials heat up to a similar temperature to the air. I suspect one of the first things you do is to put the gas stove on to make a cup of tea and for every litre of gas you burn you produce two litres of water in the air. It is important not to seal ventilation and also not to use any non-flued heating appliances. I doubt you will ever do much about condensation windows apart from temporary double glazing film. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.