Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Benjamin
Benjamin

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32pm

Post Subject: Paintwork

How do you achieve a perfect Non-Slip along the Gunwhale, Stern & Bow of a boat, what do you use and how do you do it?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:42am

Post Subject: Paintwork

Personally I use Protectacote because I have some worries about sand in the penultimate top coat when on steel. however the recognised painters say there is no problem with sand. Prep and paint the walkways and up to the first or second top coat. When thoroughly dry apply thin masking tape to the inner and outer edges of the walkway and apply another top coat. Whilst it is still wet "borrow" the flour sieve from the kitchen and use that to shake fine dry sand over the wet paint, forming an even coat. (Actually for my plank I dried a load of sharp sand from B&Q in the oven, but I know it comes from a local pit. Do not risk sea sand. Some people say budgie-sand from a pets shop is good or you can buy special painters sand). Carefully pull off the tape and when the paint is dry brush off the surplus sand. Finish with one or two more top coats. Protectacote is similar but you just paint in on after masking up. I find an annual scrub down with sugarsoap solution and a stiff scrubbing brush, wash off, wipe down with Spirit Wipe (from car painters supplies) and when that has dried off another top coat keeps it looking good. Over to Phil for the experts view. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.