Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
ray840
ray840

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:37pm

Post Subject: car radio/cd player

Hi Tony,I have recently installed a new 12v car radio/cd player on my narrowboat. I have noticed that when it is turned off it is drawing 0.4amp. Is this normal because I didn't notice this happening with the old one. I have checked and double checked that everything else was isolated so only the radio was live. Also the reception is rubbish. Your comments please. Regards Ray.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:50am

Dear Ray, Modern car radios demand a permanent feed to supply their memory bank. This is why they demand two live wires, one via the normal 12V wiring and one direct (fused) from the battery. At the least the memory contains the anti-thief code and possibly the station frequencies etc. Now, I have to ask are you sure that decimal point is in the correct place because if it is a typical car battery would be flat over a weekend or so. I suspect it should read 0.04 or even 0.004. If it really is 0.4 I suggest you contact the radio's maker or distributor's technical department to find what they think the permanent drain should be. If it is correct then I would advise connecting both supplies via the master switch and out up with having to re-program the radio whenever you return to the boat - or change the radio. Tony Brooks

ray840
ray840

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:38pm

Thanks for your prompt reply to my query Tony. Both live feeds are fed from the master switch and I am quite sure that the draw is 0.4amp but i will check on my next visit to the boat. Regards Ray.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51am

Just been digging about a bit and find two makes list their standby current as 25 mA which is 0.025 amps, hence my question about the decimal point. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.