Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
chrisbee
chrisbee

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:26pm

Post Subject: windows

i have a leaking window i have taken it out cleaned the rim/edge resealed with silicone sealer .could water be entering from the hopper if so can you stop it?.could you please tell me how

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:28pm

Dear Shawn, first of all silicon is not the best thing to use for this job. Did you tighten the window fully home before the silicon set, if so you may have squeezed it out of the joint. When using any kind of "mastic" sealer I would tighten down to the last three or four turns, let the sealer set and then fully tighten. This assumes you are using a sealer that sets "soft". Now I really need to know how you know the window is leaking and where from. It seems you think between the window and frame, but if its an old boat what about between the glass and frame where the rubber has deteriorated? Could it be condensation forming behind the panelling? Often the inner "channel" is used to collect condensation. To allow this to drain away rather than fill the channel and overflow into the boat two holes are often drilled, below the glass, to the outside. Has the glass slipped down? Has dirt and moss blocked the holes? The hopper normally sits on a special section where the up-stand is behind the hopper glass on the inside. This is continued right into the side sections and screwed or riveted in place with rubber strip to seal the two small joints. Most of the rain should simply run off that section across the main window but I suppose if its an old boat the rubber could have deteriorated. If you think it is leaking between the glass and frame and its an old boat may I suggest that on the next fine dry day you give the outside joint between the glass and frame a really good scrub & clean. Then apply a number of applications of Capt. Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure. It will also work between the frame and cabin side but it should not be viewed as a permanent repair (on my boat it has held for well over 5 years). This question is all too typical of the lack of information readers give. I can only advise on the basis of the information in the question. In this case the reader seems to have done the diagnosis so I have no opportunity to consider the symptoms - like how much its leaking, where the water appears to be coming from and when it leaks. Tony Brooks

chrisbee
chrisbee

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:07pm

hi tony here is a bit more info .on a rainy day the water drips out of the bottom of the window but there are drops water onthe glass.could this be water dripping from the hopper part of the window.it is an old boat 1980 aprox.the seel in the hopper part of the window hard could this be the problem if so how could i fix it .if the windows have sliped down how can this be fixed.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:44pm

I do not understand what you mean by the window "slipping down". Unless you have the boat stripped out for a refit it is normally very hard to see any leaks from the frame to cabin side joint because the inner face is covered by the the cabin lining. Typical leaks trickle down behind the lining and end up as bilge water. Worse leaks might show them selves if the lining is close fitted to the cabin side but usually the window cutout is slightly lower than the inner trim so it needs to be a bad leak for that to happen. Leaks from the frame to cabin joint often show as wet patches lower down the cabin lining where it meets the under gunwale board. The boat is old enough to have almost any sort of window fitted - even ones removed from a bus- but I can only respond as if its a typical window unless you email me some pictures of it. Most boat windows have a channel running around the inside of the glass to catch condensation. If you are saying water runs out of this channel in one corner then either the drains I described before are blocked, missing, or the boat is trimming down by the stern so much they are in the wrong place. If you do not have these drains the condensation on the inside of the window could run out of the corner, as could water leaking between the glass and frame. I have already explained that the bottom of the hopper normally sits on a special alloy section with an up-stand behind the lower part of the hopper. This, on its own, should prevent water leaking in from the bottom of the hopper. As for the rest of the hopper my boat has no seals but does not leak from there. Water can only flow downhill! Think back to home before double glazing. Every time it rained, especially during the winter, condensation formed on the inside of the glass. Are you sure your drops are not condensation. If you are sure they are not from condensation you will need to have a good look while its raining to see exactly where the drops are getting in. I find it very difficult to envisage how rain could get drops through a closed hopper. if water is trickling in through any joints then, as I said, try Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack cure. If the seal the hopper pushes up against is hard and you think it will do any good then get hold of some closed cell foam strip of suitable length (Seals+ Direct sell self adhesive strip). remove the old seal and stick the new seal in its place. If you need more advice I am afraid I will need digi-pics emailed to Tony@TB-training.co.uk.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.59 seconds.