Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:24pm

Post Subject: stovhe chimmney

hi toni I like to get some info on best way of cutting new hole in roof after re-siting of stove ?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:41pm

Dear Paul, much depends upon what equipment you have available. First of all mark off the outline of the hole on the roof and check there are no cables underneath it. If you have a good jigsaw with a metal blade in it drill a small hole, wide enough to allow you to push the jigsaw blade through the roof, so its outer edge is level with the line. Then use the jigsaw at slow speed, with plenty of cutting paste or oil to lubricate the blade to cut around the line. If that proves difficult or you do not have the tools drill a whole series of holes around and just inside the line as above so that are separated by a thin piece of roof metal. If you get it right it will be fairly easy to snap a few of the remaining pieces of metal with a screwdriver or small chisel. once you have snapped a few you will find you can start levering the waste material up and tapping it down so you stress and snap those little pieces of metal that join the waste to the roof. Once that is done use a large half round file to clean the edges back to the line. If you do not want rust creeping out from under the chimney remember to prime an top coat the cut edges. Tony Brooks

pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:50pm

Post Subject: stove chimmney

hi toni took you advise and cut new hole by drilling a series of holes smaller than needed and then angle ground it to size local boat yard welded new pipe in place,the as the heavy snow on the roof melted it marked out the roof bearers thanks again toni

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:26am

Thanks for the feedback. However I am going to point out a potential problem with your method for the benefit of others who may read the post. Most stove pipes sit well down inside a collar on the top of the stove which is then packed with fireproof rope & some form of sealant. To remove the stove at a later stage requires the flue to be lifted by perhaps an inch or more. This will not be possible if the flue is welded into the roof. I much prefer to fit a cast roof "boss", bolted onto the roof by two or four bolts and sealed against water ingress. They come in both flat and angled flange types so you can choose to accommodate all sorts of flue arrangements. The flue pipe itself is cut level with the top of the boss and then packed with as above. The easily available chimneys are designed to sit over the boss to allow easy removal for low bridges etc. The boss also locates the chimney so if its a twin skin one the inner tube is central over the flue. Tony Brooks

pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58pm

hi again toni i agree with you regret I did not make it clear that the pipe welded to roof was a sleeve that the stove pipe sides into and the chimney fits over Regards p

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.64 seconds.