Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
janetg
janetg

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:28pm

Post Subject: boat stove

We are considering having a stove fitted on our boat.We have deisel central heating already, but after this winter we think, we will get one for next year.A multifuel one,so we have a alternative to deisel. do you recommend any make or type of stove, and what have we mainly to look for in buying one. thanks hope not to long.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:06am

Post Subject: boat stove

Dear Janet, Before you do anything else you need to see the recently published BS 8511 standards for fitting stoves on boats. Make sure you see the latest version and not the earlier draft version. I suspect your local library service will be the cheapest way. The reason you need to see them is that they contain minimum clearances and suchlike and taking those with the space you have available may limit your choice. At them moment the BS Standards are not BSS requirements and are advisory but failing to install in accordance with a BS may give your insurance company convenient "wriggle room". You have to choose between a cast iron stove and a fabricated steel one. Poor quality cast iron may crack without reason whilst good quality cats iron may crack if the fire in a cold stove is allowed to burn too fiercely too fast. However cats iron is more resistant to distortion if overheated. A fabricated stove will be very resistant to cracking but may distort if the fire runs away. It will also have a greater tendency to rust. I really can not help you with makes but I do not think you should buy on price because I understand there are some poor quality cats stoves around. Now a personal view. I am extremely happy with my Stovax Brunell on the boat but can not put into words what I think about the Hunter stove, of similar size, I have at home. I trust this helps, Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.