Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tom
Tom

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:36pm

Post Subject: Eberspacher Heating

Hi I have an Eberspacher D5W SC heating system in my 45' narrowboat which serves 2 radiators. If I just want to use the system for hot water, is it simply a matter of turning the radiators off with the thermostatic valves? Thanks Tom Edwards Nb Blueberry

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:20am

This opinion is not specific to Eberspacher and probably applies to the "big three" makes of similar equipment. When used on boats it seems this type of heater is far more reliable if it only runs at maximum output and then shuts down until the water needs heating again rather than going onto a low output setting. Now although all these heaters have a boiler thermostats as far as I know so they shut down or go to low power mode if the water reaches a certain temperature which seems to indicate that you are correct I would be reluctant to try unless I was sure the boiler would not just go to low output when its boiler reached temperature. Removing the radiators from the heat dump would give a faster boiler temperature rise so it may well cycle on and off or high-low more frequently. I see no reason you should not try it, but suspect the boiler may carbon up faster then normal. You also need to assure yourself that the boiler thermostat can "override" any room thermostat you have because the last thing you want is any fail safe overheat system shutting the boiler down. I do not have much detailed knowledge of this form of heater since my experiences of another make in the 1960s so would ask any readers who have the knowledge to contribute to this answer. Tony Brooks

Tom
Tom

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59pm

Thanks very much for the speedy response Tony. Tom

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.