Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Frances
Frances

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:32am

Post Subject: Bilge pump

I have always used a manual bilge pump but the man who has just blacked my narrowboat has suggested putting in an electric one (not an automatic but one I can switch on and off). What kind should I get and where and how do I fit it?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28pm

Post Subject: Bilge pump

Dear Fran, I am sure he has, makes more money for him. If you are happy with what you have at present why bother especially as some manual bilge pumps have an "easy remove" cover to the pumping chamber so its easy to clear debris from the valves. AS far as I am concerned and for normal narrowboat use (which is mainly rainwater ingress plus some drips from the stern glands) any bilge pump from a chandlers will do. Just take care because there are some "look alike" Far eastern ones around that may not last as well as the brand names. The pump sits at the lowest part of the hull. A pipe runs from the pump to the hull outlet (you could T into your existing pump outlet hose as long as the T was well below the manual pump. Then you need to run a fused supply to a switch, then to the pump and a negative from the pump back to the relevant battery. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.