Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sincasa...
sincasa...

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:47am

Post Subject: canal trouble spots

Hi I am starting to plan our next cruise and would like to know where there are trouble spots on the canals from a security/safety point of view especially for mooring Can you advise where I can find such information so that I can be aware of such places when we travel. Many thanks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:40pm

Post Subject: canal trouble spots

Dear Lawrence, I honestly do not think there is a central source for such information and it also depends upon what you mean by trouble. I know the Farmers Locks area of Birmingham is popular with alcohol and drug abusers so it can be unpleasant but you would not moor there anyway. Some of the canals in and around Manchester & Liverpool have something of a reputation but many people travel on them without problem. The only problem we have faced in 10 years of boating was when we got stoned at Gnosel, a little village on the Shroppie but there is no way that location would normally be considered a problem area. The best advice is to try to travel through deprived areas before say about 11.00 while the nar-do-wells are still in bed. It often helps if you chat to the youngsters along the canal. Once you have a specific route in mind as about it on the Canal World Forum. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.