Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
oddy58...
oddy58...

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:57pm

Post Subject: holding tank for pump out toilet system

whats the best method of constructing the holding tank for a pump out toilet system do i fabricate one in situ from steel or have one made from stainless and bolt it down, or is plastic the better choice. Weight isn't an issue.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:58pm

Post Subject: holding tank for pump out toilet system

Dear Adrian, this is another of those questions that are near impossible to answer when I have no background information about what led you to ask the question. It is very much "horses for courses". Is the boat and empty shell or are you retrofitting into an existing boat. How large are the doors and/or window apertures? And so on. I am unsure how you will bolt a stainless steel tank down into the hull. That will require clamps or straps running right across the top unless you weld things to the hull. If you decide to use stainless steel make sure the grade is compatible with a long life containing effluent. Did you know that some types can rust? If you go for plastic please make sure it has plenty of thickness and it is properly welded together. The last thing you want is to bump a lock and find the tank splits. In many cases the tank supports the toilet and occupant so the structure has to be strong enough. Personally I think I would favour either thick GRP with the base and sides moulded in one piece or 6mm+ thick mild steel. In the case of a steel one I would build it out of the boat (if possible) so it is easy to carry out a good pressure test. I suspect the majority of boats have mild steel tanks. If you are using a vacuum toilet make sure the tank can cope with the vacuum. If it is not a vacuum toilet I commend to you two breathers, one at each end of the tank, of at least 1 inch or larger diameter. This will go a long way towards reducing smell. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.