Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Hooper
Hooper

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:36am

Post Subject: Vanishing Elecrricty

Hi Tony, I have a standard household consumer meter fitted ( by the previous owner) on the mains input on my boat, it is connected immediately after the input socket it then goes to the Victron Inverter/charger and then to the main breaker/ RCD. However when I am connected to the shore power there is a huge difference in the readings of the boatyardâs meter and mine by approx 5 times. I have had the power cable tested with a professional Megohmeter (500v 100 M Ohm). My meter shows a consumption of around 2-3 Units per day when on board, which comes in with what I calculate, and about 1 unit when the batteries are trickle charging when I am not on board, and everything is turned off. I have connected an ammeter to the mains input between the input socket and the consumer meter and watched it for 4 hours whilst it was trickle charging, it showed 0.15 A on the mains, whilst my 12v ammeter showed that the batteries were being charged at 0.3 A. The boatyard has tried 3 different meters and there is an RCD on the boatyard supply. I am completely baffled and would appreciate your help.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:43am

Post Subject: Vanishing Elecrricty

Dear Tim, I regret that it would be unwise of me to do anything that might be interpreted as encouraging persons who's competence is unknown to work on 230V AC systems. I must advise that you seek the assistance of a properly qualified professional. I note that you have not had your consumer meter tested and calibrated. Sorry. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.