Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mary'h'
mary'h'

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:01pm

Post Subject: Washing Machine

We will be spending most of the summer cruising the canals and I really would like a washing machine! However my partner is worried that we won't have enough power to run it. He is just about to increase our batteries from 3 x 110 to 5 x 110 and is also changing the alternator either a 160 or 180 amp. Can you please tell me what the minimum we need to run one whilst under way? Someone mentioned a travel pack - do we need one?

DavetheMan
DavetheMan

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:22pm

It depends what sort of washing machine you want. We have got a twin tub which uses very little power - we used to run it from a 600watt inverter - but it does mean a little more work for you than an automatic. Many chandleries stock them, or caravan dealers. Ours is very successful.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:52pm

Dear Linda, if you tell me the specifications for your washing machine I will be able to answer your question. "Washing machines" have power ratings from about 40 (4 amps) watts for a simple single tub machine through 65 watts (6.5 amps) for a simple twin tube (both "camping" modes without their own heaters) to fully blown domestic machines with a power rating of up to 4000 watts (400 amps) PLUS a starting surge. You need to look at the plate on the back of the machine and then divide by 10 to give the amps drawn from an inverter on a 12v boat. If you are willing to have the automatic machines heater disconnected or turn it's thermostat to cold the you cam probably take between 1200 and 1500 watts from that figure so in that case it will demand up to 280 amps plus the starting surge. Any modern automatic will almost certainly need a pure sine wave inverter large enough to provide the wattage on the machine plus up to another 20% for the starting surge. A modified sine wave inverter will probably create havoc with the computer controls. AS long as you maintain the engine speed at a level that allows the alternator to develop maximum output for as long as the machine is in use and the machine's rating is less than 1600 watts (smaller alternator) or 1800 watts (large alternator) then there will be no significant extra load on the batteries. If the machine needs more power than this I will also need to know your daily electrical use and for how long you run the engine for both with and without the washing machine in use. I think the travel pack you mention is in fact a Travel Power mains generator that replaces one of the engine driven alternators and I do not think they are still available. Today people seem to use an inverter an high output alternator and an inverter. If they have twin alternators they often buy devices that combine their outputs. One last thing. You do not mention how large the present alternator is and its important. If it is driven by a single V belt (ordinary fan belt) then you will also need modified pulleys that take the wide polly-V belts that can transmit the power demanded by the alternators you mention. You will find sample "workings out" for this sort of question on www.tb-training.co.uk under power audit in either set of course notes. Come back with more info if you want more help. Tony Brooks

ray840
ray840

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:09pm

Hi. we also cruise for most of the summer on our narrowboat and we find that a Candy half size washing machine is large enough to cope with all of our washing needs. We have a 2kw pure sine wave inverter and 4x 110ah domestic batteries on board. As long as we do the washing as we are cruising we don't have any problems. Our machine is hot and cold fill with the hot water being heated by the engine through the calorifier. Hope this is of some use. Regards Ray

ray840
ray840

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:10pm

PS our alternator is 70amp

mary'h'
mary'h'

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:02pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. I meant to put the model of machine down that we are looking at but completely forgot - senior moment! We are thinking about a Zanussi ZWC 1300 which is a 3kg load studio machine. From what I can see it it is 570 watts.

mary'h'
mary'h'

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:23pm

I've now discovered that it has a power rating at 1600 watts - if that helps!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:44pm

Right, in theory you need 160 amps plus about 20%to run that machine through an inverter so as long as its running at maximum output the 160 amp alternator should be fine. However probably 800 watts or more of that 1600 is probably the heater load so if you fill with water in any manner that ensures the heater does not cut in in all probability you will not need to alter the alternator or even the battery bank size - as long as you run the engine at full charge speed during the wash and then for as long again as you would on non-wash days. The battery bank only comes into play if the inverter draws more current than the alternator can supply or if your washing time is allowed to reduce the battery charging time. Remember though, pure sine wave inverter. Tony Brooks

jonsnow
jonsnow

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:42am

The thing is that it basically depends on which washing machine you are going to have. There are various types of washing machine as semi-automatic, full automatic etc. The problem which you have mentioned can be sorted out if you go for the [url=https://uaetechnician.ae/washing-machine-re pair]washing machine repair service[/url] and they will brief you which type will be useful for you as well.

daniel123
daniel123

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:10am

In this type of summer cruising, the washing machine will be useful because there will be many clothes and they have to be cleaned. The power issue is also a situation which has to be taken seriously and i would suggest to contact https://uaetechnician.ae/washing-machine-repair to get rid of that.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:29am

The last two posts in this topic link to a web address that seems to be in the Middle East. I can't see how this will help UK boaters so would advise readers NOT to click on them. At best they are likely to be an attempt to drive clicks to the site and at the worst may contain nasties.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 47.  Total Objects: 166.  Total Unserialized: 7. Total Runtime: 0.39 seconds.