Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
martynw
martynw

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:28pm

Post Subject: Narrowboat central heating

I am fitting out a 50' narrowboat and it will use a "Bubble" stove to provide the heating. Would you recommend using a traditional header tank in the installation or go for a sealed pressurised system?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:33pm

Dear Martyn, It is normal practise to use a 30% to 50% antifreeze mixture in boat central heating systems to minimise corrosion as well as preventing frost damage when you are away from the boat. If you use an open expansion tank system it is very easy to pour the pre-mixed liquid into the tank. If you choose a sealed system it is much harder and requires a pump to charge the system. Further more if you are using a pressurised system and something goes wrong with the stoves control you could get an explosion if the mandatory pressure relief valve fails to pass enough liquid/steam. I say keep it simple and use a header tank. Tony Brooks

martynw
martynw

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:42pm

Dear Tony, many thanks for your reply. You have confirmed my own feelings! Central heating engineers are fine, but they cannot always transfer their knowledge to boats!!!

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.