Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Lindallan
Lindallan

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:00pm

Post Subject: Domestic water

Hello Tony, My wife and I are first time narrowboat owners and had a stainless steel water tank fitted, for the winter period we drained the water from the tank and system, in March we filled the tank, treated the water, flushed the water out and then refilled. We now wonder what is best pratice when we leave the boat for short periods ie 1 to 6 weeks between cruises, what we do at the moment is fill the water tank when we leave the boat and on return pump some of the water out and refill with fresh water. My question is do we carry on as we have been doing or should we not fill up when we leave, is it better to leave a tank full of water or containing some air?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:19pm

Post Subject: Domestic water

Dear Alan, I hope a reader who works in the quality department of a water company comes and gives you definitive advice. Personally I have never worried about the water in the tank when leaving the boat between uses. I have been told that there should be enough free chlorine in the water to keep it safe for a fair time and that by the time it becomes unsafe to drink we would not drink or use it anyway because of the smell/taste. I tend to leave it partially empty so that the refilling puts more chlorine onto the tank to kill any bugs. If I have been away for a time I tend to put a half or a full one card of Aquatabs into the filler immediately before refilling. I am much more concerned about the state of the inside of the filling hose and always let the water run through it for a minute or so and the rinse the end in the running water before putting it in the tank. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.