Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
davelee79...
davelee79...

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:23pm

Post Subject: Ignition light / buzzer stays on

I have a 38ft "Little Gem" with a shire 1200 engine. The ignition light and buzzer stay on when engine revved,(light gets brighter with more revs) ammeter shows alternator is charging. Icleaned all connections from split charge relay to ignition swich and problem went away, having left the boat for a couple of weeks, problem has returned. could a have a faulty relay?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:01pm

There are two common causes for this and to be sure I really need to know the alternator output almost as soon as you have revved up after the first start of the morning and the alternator's rated output. If one of the alternator's diodes fails you can get another set of diodes trying to charge the batteries by back feeding through the warning lamp and ignition switch. However this would also give a much lower than normal alternator output first thing. The second thing is that a poor contact or connection in/on the ignition switch or switch supply can cause the warning lamp diodes to try to make up for the bad connection by trying to feed the ignition switch controlled circuits through the warning lamp. There is one further possibility but it will depend upon how the charging system has been wired. I do not see how it can occour if the wiring is done in the "normal" way with the alternator feeding the engine battery. IF the alternator main output runs to the domestic bank and the split charge relay or its main connections are resistive for any reason then the alternator could try to charge the engine battery via the warning lamp BUT in all these cases I would say the lamp will glow rather than light. I think it would also be a good idea to clean all the battery terminals and posts, check the master switches, especially the engine one, and make sure all terminals on leads close to pencil size and above have cleat tight terminals with good solid terminal crimps. Come back if you want more advice. Tony Brooks

davelee79...
davelee79...

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:02pm

Tony,Thanks for the help, I found a couple of poor crimped joints and replaced those. All working well now.Mind you we have not had any more damp weather!

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:31pm

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to know when we actually help. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.