Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Laurie...
Laurie...

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:36am

Post Subject: Advice on a 12' widebeam

Apologies if I am asking a question that has been asked before. I am a complete novice only having holidayed on the upper part of the thames a couple of times. I am planning to buy a widebeam 60' boat. The question is what beam ? The boat will be located on a Marina on the River Stort. I have read that the Locks on the Stort are 13'6", but had planned on a 12' beam. Is this advisable, or would it take an expert to navigate the Stort and Lee on a boat of this size. Also I would like to know anyone in said area who offers a helmsman training course. Thank you

Laurie...
Laurie...

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:16pm

Just a bit more info. The boat will be mainly used as a second home on a 12month licence leisure marina. As such I am looking at leisure cruising on The Stort and Lee, with maybe a few weeks a year going a bit further afield.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:32pm

Dear Laurie, I have no knowledge of the Lee & Stort above Broxbourne so we must hope that someone with local experience will help out. I think putting a 12ft beam boat into a 13ft 6 in lock would be easier than getting a 6ft 10in boat into a 7ft 6in (or less) lock. I think you will need to be careful over the air-draft (height above the waterline) on the upper reaches. I understand there is one exceptionally low bridge. There are lists of courses in the back of the magazines. If you take your time and do not rush I am sure the boat handling will be fine. Just do not go out at first in high winds etc. As far as the cruising further afield is concerned the Thames will be fine to Lechlade. I think the K&A will also be OK but the GU will only take a wide beam boat to just short of Birmingham and you need to book passage through the tunnels with BW. You will probably be told to go through at something like 3am! Tony Brooks

Laurie...
Laurie...

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:42am

Thanks for that Tony, had not really thought of comparing the dimensions with that of narrowboats and 7'6 locks. Will subscribe to the magazine now I have found this site.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.