Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
funallday
funallday

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:56pm

Post Subject: Lister SR3 Hydrolic Gear Box

Hi all, i have been told that the Lister Hydrolic Gear Box needs two oils, i have changed the one farthest from the engine that has a little dipstick, it only took about 1 pint to fill it, i cant seem to find a dipstick for the other or a filler or drain plug for it, can you tell me where to find it, and what oil it uses please ?? Thanks Mark

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:13pm

Dear Mark, I assume that the engine has the Lister LH150 gearbox fitted. It may or may not also have a reduction box fitted but I would expect one on a narrowboat. On a cruiser its less likely. Both boxes use SAE 80 gear oil or SAE 90 in hot climates. The manual I have does not show the reduction box, but this is a sort of oval thing bolted between the gearbox and prop-shaft coupling. I think this is the one you have found and it would only take a little oil. From memory I think you will find the gearbox dipstick fairly low down, close to the engine/gearbox foot on the right hand side (looking forwards). The filler is a brass hexagon with a larger flange below it, all part of the same casting, in the top cover of the gearbox. It really is hard to miss. You need to feel under the box where the sloping "back" of the box flattens out just before it drops again to its lowest point. Both these are shown in the manual that can be downloaded form the Dutch manual site linked to from the bottom of the first page of my website (tb-training.co.uk). If you can not locate the items please email me some digi-pics in case you do not have a Lister box. Tony@ the above web address. Tony Brooks

miketones
miketones

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:49pm

Hello, I also have a LH1 gearbox on an SR3 on boat lying S. of France. The gearbox sometimes has difficulty getting into neutral - need to jiggle around in and out of reverse to get neautral - changed oil and its a bit better but seems hydraulic valve (?) might be sticking - any ideas? Thanks, Mike

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:16pm

I did not know a LH1 gearbox existed but if you mean an LH150 the you must understand that the box is the "odd one out" in that it uses hydraulic pressure to give reverse and neutral with no pressure allowing the box to go into ahead. This is a "get you home" device that would be useful in the event of hydraulic failure. The next thing is that these boxes often had an oval (in vertical plane) reduction box mounted on the end and that box does only take a pint or so of oil - EP80. The actual gearbox is the much larger thing fitted between the engine and eduction box. I seem to remember that the dipstick is low down on one side, possible obscured by a mounting foot but do not hold me to this because the manual I have makes not mention of the dipstick. This holds 2 pints of EP80 gear oil. IF ensuring the box has enough oil in it does not resolve the problem you need to get a manual and check the ahead piston adjustment, which will involve removing the top of the box. After that you need to ensure a circlip holding the ahead clutch into its release bearing is in place and after that check the operating oil pressure. Instructions in the manual. Marine Engine Services of Uxbridge will be the best source for an up to date manual but you will find one on the "Dutch Manual" site linked form the first page of my own site www.tb-training.co.uk. A P Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:30am

I should have first told you to disconnect the cable form the lever on the gearbox and try to put it in gear manually. If that works either a cable clamp has become loose or there is wear in the parts that fix the cable to the lever on the box or in the control. I also think the gearbox dipstick is a small brass knurled finger nut that has to be unscrewed - say about 10mm in diameter.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.