Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
journeymn
journeymn

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:14pm

Post Subject: marinised 1.8 ford diesel engine

Hi i was just wondering if you tell me anything about the marinised 1.8 ford engine as its the one i have in my narrow boat at the moment i am replaceing the fuel injectors hopeing that i will not have to have the whole engine reconditiond since it cut out and refuses to fire up, the local avelchurch marina just want to sell me a new engine and to be honest arnt much help at all. kind regards journymn cresnook@yahoo.co.uk

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:49pm

Post Subject: marinised 1.8 ford diesel engine

Dear Colin, To be honest I can not be much help either if you will not give me the symptoms and what lead up to your decision that you need to change the injectors. Is it bad starting, smoke, loss of power, overheating and so on. What I can tell you is that I am with Alverchurch on this. If you came to me I would not want you to spend much money on that engine. The engine's camshaft is driven by a glorified rubber band - OK so its a bit more than that - and if that strips a tooth or snaps you will end up with a bill probably running into four figures for a repair. To combat this those belts need changing regularly and I do not feel thats a DIY operation unless you have experience with that sort of job. One slip and you are back into those four figures. A further problem is that often access to the front of the engine in a narrowboat is very limited making the accurate timing of the belt harder than when it is in a car. Now you do say it cut out and will not fire up but you tell me nothing about the colour and quantity of any smoke form the exhaust when you are trying to start. In spite of that I suspect the wire to the fuel stop solenoid has fallen off, the solenoid has burnt out, or the circuit has another fault on it. Changing injectors is very unlikely to make any difference at all. If its not the stop and as long as the starter is spinning the engine fast enough ("refuses to fire up" could mean that the starter will not work)then it could be a blockage in the fuel supply - when did you last change the filter(s)etc.? Anyway, back to the stop solenoid. Look at the injector pump and you should see a hexagon "bolt" thing about 3/4" across the flats screwed into the top of the pump and with a terminal on the top. This is the stop solenoid. Put your finger on it while someone turns the ignition on and off. You should feel it clicking. If so slacken it until it is almost out and try to start the boat. If it starts or makes clouds of white smoke the solenoid is faulty if there is no smoke you probably have a fuel blockage so take the solenoid right out and spin the engine. Fuel should pour from the hole. If not the fuel system is blocked, try changing the filter(s). If the exhaust is making clouds of white smoke when you try to start but the engine will not fire you either have a number of faulty glow-plugs or you have lost compression. If the latter we are back to Alvachurch's advice because of the engine design. Faulty injectors could make it smoke and not start but there would have been a history of gradually increasing difficulty with starting and smoke when running, idling and starting. I trust this helps. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.