Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Hornblower...
Hornblower...

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:57pm

Post Subject: Narrowboat for some months

Every year I am enjoying the british canals and rivers on a hireboat for one or two weeks. Now I have got the idea to leave my job for some months (sabbatical) and live on a Narrowboat during that time. But how to get a boat for some months? It´s not worth to buy one because I can´t use it regularly. But the standard hire fees are to expensive for several months. Do you have any ideas? Greetings from Germany Jan

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:01pm

Post Subject: Narrowboat for some months

Dear Jan, if you are thinking about some "private" arrangement with an owner please think again because their license and insurance would almost certainly be invalid. There is also a good chance the boat would not comply with the stricter regulations regarding hire boats and boats for long term living. If you can organise this out of high season do not dismiss the hire boat route because I am sure many would be happy to to offer a substantial discount for the certainty of several months hire. For a start try http://www.sheffieldnarrowboats.com or http://www.saisons.co.uk/index.html both have indicated they are happy to consider long term hiring on another forum. Remember to contact as many fleets as you can. You should also talk to as many brokerages as you can because in the present climate I suspect they might consider a purchase and guaranteed "buy back" scheme. Other than that I am afraid I have no idea but take great care over Internet only operations. They are not all what they seem. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.