Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
flicks...
flicks...

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:12pm

Post Subject: Springer hull thickness

I am just looking into purchasing my first narrowboat. I have just had a survey done on a 30ft Springer built in 1984. The surveyer called me yesterday and he very much seems to be on my side. He informed me of various minor issues which will require rectifying before purchase. The thing which concerns me most is the thickness of the hull. He informs me that the readings from the ultrasonic testing give a minimum reading of 2.7mm which seems very low. He informs me however that this is acceptable as this particular boat was only built at a thickness of 3.25mm when new which means it has eroded very little over it's 26 year lifespan. He said that the only issue may be insuring it as many insurers won't touch a boat with such a hull thickness apart from third party. I just wondered what you experts think. It seems that although the thickness is very much on the thin side it hasn't changed much since it first went on the water. He says this is a very well cared for and looked after boat in every respect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:07pm

I suspect that you will have problems finding an insurer who is willing to offer comprehensive cover without regular hull surveys so the apparent thinness would be monitored at regular intervals. However there is no way I am going to second guess an insurance company so I think you need to get on the phone and talk to a few before parting with any more money. If that 2.7 is only in a few places or is pits then it may be economic to do some localised over-plating however it would a few thousand for a full over-plate. Tony Brooks

orchardM...
orchardM...

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:52pm

Hi, I can give you an entirely honest and somewhat belated answer (but I assume this post will be of use to someone else). I own a 48ft Narrowboat mooring in Alvechurch West Midlands. It was built in 1989 and we also had a surveyors report done when we bought it which our insurer www.merciamarine.co.uk did ask for and our pitting showed up at 2.5mm in some places. They said this was not considered abnormal nor a problem based upon the age of the vessel. They did also kindly advance forewarn me (i.e. before i took out the policy which I appreciated) that they would need a fresh survey copy sent to them again every 5 years after my first (along with a valid boat safety certificate). I like this company so worth a quote, FYI also they have an info/ articles section that tell you how to get a better quote which came in handy on a couple of pointers too so I'd recommend adding them to your list of potentials when getting your quotes. Hope this is useful to someone!

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.