Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
dclholly1...
dclholly1...

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:09pm

Post Subject: Throttle won't stay in position

I have just purchased a narrowboat and have found that the throttle won't stay where I set it - it tends to fall back to a position where it means the boat is travelling just a bit too slowly. Are there any adjustments I can make to tighten it? I have been told it is a fairly new throttle lever, the old one having suffered from the same problem.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:43am

Dear Paul, Some makes and models of controls have a friction adjustment and some do not. In fact the one many hire fleets use with an black almost rectangular (say about 4" square) body with a chrome lever and round knob does not. The first thing to do is to identify the mane and model and then go onto the manufacturer's website and hope they have put the maintenance sheets on there. If there is no friction adjustment or of if you can not find out about your control inspect the engine where the throttle cable is attached to the throttle lever. If there is any sort of return spring on the lever remove it. If there is no return spring then all the advice I can give is that one major manufacturer told me to put a spring on the throttle lever that tended to pull the lever open so it reduced the engines tendency to close the throttle. I am not over happy with that because a broken cable could result in the engine revving up. I would rather try to increase the friction in the cable but as I have no email address for you I can not supply a diagram. Tony Brooks

dclholly1...
dclholly1...

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:41pm

Hi Tony Thanks for the info - I'll have a look this weekend and see what I can find! Paul

dclholly1...
dclholly1...

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:21pm

Having now had a better look, it's a Morse throttle, no model number but could be the previous version of a MV2. There is no return spring that I can find. At the moment I have a workaround which is to hang a small weight from the throttle lever - not ideal but it does work! Any other suggestions welcome. Paul

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:01am

As I said in my first reply, I can not send you a diagram because I do not have your email address. Send it to the editor or direct to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk if you want the diagram. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.