Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
1247sandra...
1247sandra...

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:00pm

Post Subject: inverters

We have just got a 55ft boat which we are refurbishing and want to run a 240 v fridge freezer and washer/dryer what size inverter would we need?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:41pm

Post Subject: inverters

I am tempted to answer "**** big". Look at the plates on the back of each appliance and find out their wattages. Add these together and then add another 20% to allow for start up surges. If they all decide to start at the same time even 20% may not be enough though. Now you need to find an inverter supplier who will quote you TRUE watts and not assume kilowatts and kVA are the same thing. If you can not get that in writing increase the wattage by another 20% to allow for any Power Factor problems. Now I must beg you to take great care unless you are planning to install a separate generator that will run the washer/dryer or intend to install a huge alternator and only run the dryer when that alternator is producing sufficient output to cover it. Someone far cleverer than me has said some very rude things about people who plan to or actually use batteries to run heating appliances and he has said it with very good reason. An Indisit quotes its power consumption as 5.32 kWh per cycle. This equates to about 532 Amp Hours so to supply that from batteries alone without any non-engine charging will require a battery bank of about 2000 Ah. That is before we even think about getting the batteries recharged. In my view that washer/dryer needs a large enough generator installing, only using when on a land line , or forgetting. Please do a full power audit, battery capacity and charging calculation BEFORE you go any further otherwise this will all too readily end in tears. I note that you have not thought it prudent to ask about batteries as well! Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.