Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
flicks
flicks

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:42pm

Post Subject: Lister SR2 Oil dipstick location

Hello. Could anybody please tell me where the lubricating oil dipstick is positioned on a Lister SR2 engine? Looked all over and can't seem to be able to locate it. Many thanks in advance.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:07pm

According to the manual I have it is either low on the crankcase or above it on the crankcase door. This is on the left had side of the engine (port side) and may be right underneath the plastic or canvas cooling air duct running to the hull vent. It seems to be a nicely made, possibly screw in, knob type dipstick and not the bit of bent rod usually found on other engines. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:31pm

Further thoughts. Our SL4s had the dipstick through the metal "frame" that the air ducts attach to so it was high up on the engine to one side of the rocker covers. TB

flicks
flicks

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:04pm

Thanks Tony. I will investigate those areas and see what I can find.

flicks
flicks

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:49pm

Hello Tony. No luck locating the dipstick as yet. Found on pretty much as you described it but it's on the right hand side of the engine, (as viewed from the back of the boat), and looks to me as if it's intended to measure the gearbox oil judging by it's location just before the shaft comes out to the sterngear. Will I have to remove the cowling to find it do you think? Many thanks again.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:11pm

I think you have probably found the reduction box dipstick. If you can not feel around under the air duct then yes, you probably will have to take the duct off. However it may be best if you ring Marine Engine Services at Uxbridge and ask them. They will probably need your engine number to be sure because Lister air cooled engines from all sorts of equipment have found their way into boats so yours may not be a true marine Lister.

flicks
flicks

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:54pm

Thanks again Tony. I will take your advice and give them a call once I get the engine number. I'll feedback the outcome.

flicks
flicks

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:45pm

Hello again. Finally got back to the boat and located the dipsticks. There were actually two of them. One on either side of the crankcase. I managed to locate them using a mirror. They were, as you suggested solid sticks and not flimsy ones. Very difficult to locate as you said but now I know where they are there should be no future problems. Thanks again.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.