Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
DieselDave
DieselDave

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:32pm

Post Subject: LISTER SR2 ENGINE LEAK

I have a leak on the upper half of the engine i believe it is coming from a connecting rod housing gasket. The oil pools between the cylinder and connecting rod housing . i'm now using a thinner oil to what i was which won't help the leak but i'm assured that on my new purchase of oil that a straight 20W or w20 oil is the right one to use . What i need is a detailed breakdown of how and what to remove in a logical order to replace the leaking Gasket. Pictures of how to do this would be most helpful .

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:46pm

Post Subject: LISTER SR2 ENGINE LEAK

So you do not want much then! As far as I am aware the Lister air cooled engines do not use anything known as a "connecting rod housing". There is a push rod housing to one side of the cylinders, a crankcase and cylinders. I think you are trying to say that you have an oil leak from the cylinder to crankcase joint and this could be a gasket failure or blocked crankcase breathers. I do not have the resources to provide what you ask and your ID makes me suspect you may be professionally involved in engines so I must advise that you contact Marine Engine Services of Uxbridge to purchase an engine manual. They are also available for download from some Internet sites but I understand they may not be up to date. Basically remove the air ducting housing fro the side of the engine, then the rocker covers, heads and the cylinder barrel will slide up the long studs once the air baffles are pulled out. If you mess about with the cylinder to crankcase gasket you should check/set the bump clearance between the piston and cylinder head. Hopefully the shims you need will be in the gasket set you buy. Also be aware that some Listers, not all, have aluminium push rods that require a different valve clearance. You really do need the manual for this job.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.