Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
adamadam
adamadam

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:47pm

Post Subject: painting hull of boat

Hi i'm new to this and have a 58ft narrowboat and would like to paint the hull in anti fouling paint do you know of any reason why this is not possible or practical our surveyor says its not allowed!!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:55pm

Post Subject: painting hull of boat

Well all I can say to that is that if he can not show you the chapter and verse in writing how much else of your report can be relied upon. It is true some anti-fouling products have been banned or about to be banned but others have been developed to take their place. There are a number of different technologies, some based on copper, others that wear away taking the growths with it and yet others that are very slippery so the growths can not attach themselves. International make one actually called "Waterways anti-fouling". I would question why you want to go down this path I think it implies docking the boat every year rather than every two to 5 years (depending upon type)required for blacking products. If you want to go down the anti fouling system route I strongly suspect you will have to remove all traces of the old blacking otherwise you may run into adhesion problems or the residual blacking may bleed through the anti-fouling system. First of all you need to know what type of blacking is on the hull at present. If you can dissolve or soften it with white spirit or petrol then its bitumen based otherwise it is tar based or just possibly two pack epoxy. Once you have got that contact some makers like International and Hemple (was Blakes) and discuss your project with their technical department. They should be able to send you full details about the preparation and application of their particular systems. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.