Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cararob
cararob

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:41am

Post Subject: oil pressure increase

I have a lister petter LPWS3 build 047 out cruising yesterday oil pressure inceased up to 3 bar at tickover, I stopped the engine checked dipstick and found the level to be high so I removed oil to bring down level. This worked for a while then pressure creeped up agaion to 3 bar. I am due for an oil and filter change but there is no contaminate in the oil water or diesel can you help?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:54pm

Dear Rob, my first suspicion would be that you have an electric gauge and it is telling porkies. To do a proper diagnosis you need to get hold of an engine oil pressure test kit. Remove either the oil pressure sender unit or the oil pressure warning lamp switch and screw the required adaptor (from the kit) into the hole. Then attach the mechanical gauge and see what happens. alternatively you could take a punt and fit a new pressure sender unit but just make sure the sender unit is suitable for your gauge. It is possible that not all will be. Tony Brooks

cararob
cararob

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:08am

sorry my gauge is mechanical not electrical

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:49pm

The only thing that can do that is if the oil pressure relief valve jambs shut but without a manual I have no idea if yours is external or internal. Old engines (not Lister) with two bearing cranks could increase their oil pressure when the bearing wore but I am sure thats not the case here. Actually I find it hard to believe that a hot engine on idle would produce 45psi although I am not saying it can not happen. I think you wold do well to talk to Marine Engine Services at Uxbridge about it. They are the definitive marine Lister people. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.50 seconds.