Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
dpinney
dpinney

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:55pm

Post Subject: Changing the Heating

Hypothetical question: If there is a gas boiler connected to finrads throughout the boat (and a calorifier) and a solid fuel stove, could the stove be replaced with one that includes a back boiler and just connect it in series (or parallel?) to the existing central heating system at the closest point?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:09pm

Post Subject: Changing the Heating

Hypothetically - yes providing you observe certain precautions and providing the gas boiler is suitable for such work. Alde told me it was OK with their older tall model but it is vital that the boiler is protected form receiving boiling water if the stove runs away. If it does it may trip and possibly destroy the boiler's overheat sensor. If you put them in series with the boiler pushing hot water through the stove and the cooler return being piped to the boiler then the boiler's own circulating pump (assuming it has one) may work. If it's an Ellis boiler with no pump I think I would be very tempted to fit a pump. but it may work on gravity providing you can get your falls right on the pipes. I suspect in that case it would be better to put the stove in parallel with the boiler. Unless I get a lot more information there is no way I can be confident it should work. Tony Brooks +

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.