Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
barriejp
barriejp

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:44pm

Post Subject: Internet/broadband laptop connection

I remember reading in "Canal Boat" about a laptop costing approx £160 giving internet access via, I believe, Vodafone. I have searched my back issues but can't find it! Can you give me any more information or a website address please?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:33pm

Post Subject: Internet/broadband laptop connection

I expect it was in the product review section and perhaps the Editor will be able to look it up. However at that price it would have to be either a low spec. netbook or a sort of overgrown mobile phone. If you want to do much more that surf the web, download emails and a little light word-processing I suspect it would be underpowered. Then there is the question of data costs which can be very high. If you already have a computer why not use a 3G dongle that plugs into the USB port on the computer? I use a 3 dongle on prepay that costs £29.99 including one £10 top up. You get 1 gig of data or 30 days use for £10 whichever comes first. If you are willing to risk online/Ebay deals I expect you could get one cheaper. All the other mobile companies offer similar deals or pay monthly but I found 3 were the cheapest. AS a steel boat is effective a blocking out radio waves you may need to hang the dongle in the boat's window or even get a long, active USB lead so you can put the dongle on the roof etc. Say another £20 for an active lead. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.61 seconds.