Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:51pm

Post Subject: anchor chain -type - length ?

Hello, I am making a trip down the Trent soon, I have an Anchor (flat opening type) as is required but what type of chain is used and what length ? Also are navigation lights compulsory? Thankyou Steve

sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:04pm

sorry forgot to mention , its a 57' narrowboat.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:42pm

Navigation lights. I am think the Trent navigation is controlled by BW so I do not think navigation lights are required unless you navigate after dark. The closer to the commercial traffic you get the more sensible it will be to have them. Best check with BW, Waterscape.com or perhaps the Trent Boating Association who really know the river, ask about the anchor and get their guide as well. The anchor question is difficult because it depends upon weight of boat, depth of water and what type of bottom you are anchoring into. Another question particularly relevant to narrowboats is your ability to retrieve the anchor. I suspect most narrowboats carry a technically undersized anchor because the full sized one would be difficult to recover without a winch. The chain needs to be heavy - not the stuff from the likes of B&Q! - I asked the chandler who supplied the anchor. The length and weight of the chain gives a more horizontal pull on the anchor allowing it to hold better. You need to ensure that you can lift the chain and anchor together, but remember they will be in the water so will be a little lighter than in air. I suspect the weight thing will mean something like a 20kg Danforth type anchor with 10 metres plus of chain. The rope then needs to be as long as practical so perhaps another 30 metres. Remember this all depends upon the depth but I think what I have suggested should do for most of the water a narrowboat is likely to navigate. The nets id full of tables for this question related to sea boats but I fail to see how you will stow 200ft of chain and another 300ft of rope. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.36 seconds.