Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
westridge
westridge

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:21pm

Post Subject: lister SR3 exhaust system

I intend to fit a lister sr3 into my new boat. the engine is going to sit in its own room. I have been think about the best way of fitting the exhaust, either through the root or out the side. The other issue is what type/size of silencer to fit, could i fit a hospital type to reduce noise ? or am i also conscious that being air cool its going to be a little noisey thanks Gary

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:09pm

If this is a mid-engine room then I would say through the roof because that's the traditional way. However make sure you have a rain cap of some sort on it whenever the engine is not running. You should the have enough room t easily install a hospital silencer if that is what you want. However I suspect most of the exhaust noise will be directed upwards so it will be quieter for the helm than a side exit - that is apart from when you are in a tunnel or under a bridge. I am not sure I would apply "little noisy" to an air cooled Lister and you will have to ensure adequate engine room ventilation. That will probably be a side door to let the air in (and noise out)plus a small opening dog box on the roof terminating a vertical hot cooling air outlet duct. I do not think venting the cooling air into the engine room is a very good idea. Tony Brooks

westridge
westridge

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:59pm

Thanks Tony, Yes i do have two large doors 24" X 20" each side and also two vents 10"X 5" i did intend to put a pigeon type box on the roof to take away the hot air. thanks again Gary

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.