Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mistral123
mistral123

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:39am

Post Subject: Painting over blacking

I've recently blacked the bottom of my canal boat with spencer coating comastic blacking, unfortunately the original blacking goes a little high, and I'm wondering if there's a type of paint that can be painted over the blacking, or whether it's a case of removing the blacking completely before applying paint being the only option. Regards, Ben.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57am

The problem will be the solvents in the paint dissolving the blacking so it bleeds through the wet paint. It may then tend to flake off the metalwork. It may be possible to find a barrier coat that alleges it will allow you to over-paint the blacking but you will need to check if Comastic is tar or bitumen based. However I would have reservations about the cost and likely job satisfaction of doing it this way, let alone the time required to locate such a coat. With my tongue firmly in my cheek, yes there is a paint that will not attack the blacking and that is water based paint - emulsion paint! - but please do not try to use it. Tony Brooks

mistral123
mistral123

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:01pm

Hi there, Thanks for the reply, I feared as much (the blacking is bitchumen based). For the amount of effort that's gone into sanding down the rest of the boat it's not really worth the risk of the paint peeling in 6 months!, we'll paint above the blacking. Cheers again :).

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.