Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Julia1
Julia1

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:35pm

Post Subject: chimney is leaking brown fluid onto boat

Hi, I recently replaced my very rusty old chimney (external) with a new one. The new chimney is double skinned. However when I lit a fire I noticed that a sticky brown liquid was escaping from the chimmney and dripping down the side of the boat. How do I stop this from happening ? (There is also some of the same stuff finding it's way down the outside of the internal chimney (inside the boat)which connects to the stove. I din't have this problem before, despite the old chimney having holes it it and being almost totally corroded. All suggestion welcome. By the way there is no 'hat' on the new chimney, but then there wasn't one on the old one. Thanks, Julia.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:59pm

Dear Julia, My guess is that when you invert the chimney you will find that the inner skin does not enter the top of the flue so hot gasses can move up into the space between the inner and outer skin. There it condenses on the cool outer and runs down onto the chimney boss. If the inner is not fixed you may be able to pull it down a bit so it does enter the chimney boss. If it is fixed you could try putting cling film over the chimney boss and then filling the gap between the inner and outer skin of the chimney with the sort of aerosol foam places like Screwfix sell for use in fire resistant door work. Then push it down tight onto the boss. When it has set you should be able to pull the cling film off to leave a much better fitting chimney with no gap between the inner and outer skin. Tony Brooks

Julia1
Julia1

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:12pm

Thanks Tony. I'll give it a try. Best, Julia.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.