Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
andykayuk
andykayuk

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:49pm

Post Subject: "Wet" Gas Locker

Originally, my gas locker was a "dry" locker, with the 2 gas bottles sitting over a foot up from the base plate of the boat on a number of steel balast ingots. At the first Boat Safety Certificate inspection I was instructed to drill holes in each side of the hull, level with the bottom of the gas cylinders, to alow any leaking gas to escape from the locker. The holes are above the water line when the boat is stationary, but allow water to enter the locker when cruising. As a consiquence of this, the bottom of the locker is permanently filled with canal water, causing both the hull sides & base and the steel balast to rust badly. I have cleaned out all the loose rust and intend to treat the rusted areas (and balast) with Rylard Rust Konverta. Venetian Chandelry also advised me to overpaint the Rust Konverta with International Primocon. However, I would now like to fill the bottom of the locker with concrete, up to the level of the drain holes, so that there is no longer any standing water (or gas) in the locker. I would be grateful for any advise on how to further treat the hull sides & base before pouring the concrete and on how to seal the concrete after it has been poured. Thanks in advance of any reply. Andy Kay.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:33am

Dear Andy, a number of boats have used poured concrete topped with asphalt as the floor for their main ballast but the problem is obtaining and maintaining a 100% bond between the concrete and steel. If moisture gets into the interface you are likely to cause rusting that is impossible to get at. Being in the prow I suspect that area will be subject to the occasional impacts from lock sides etc so I would expect the bond to fail. Personally I would drop your idea and overcoat the Primocon with two or three coats of suitable blacking. In fact because most of that area is not subject to much abrasion ordinary bitumen will do. In an ideal world you would have to clean the area out, check and if required re-black at perhaps 5 yearly intervals but I suspect the work involved would be much easier than solving corrosion between the concrete and hull. If Venetian Marine have been advising you what do they advise. I am loath to say anything about sealing the concrete simply because a seal failure could have expensive long term consequences. Tony Brooks

andykayuk
andykayuk

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16pm

Thanks, Tony, for your reply. Andy.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.