Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.


To go back to the experts page click here>>


Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:31pm

Post Subject: Books on Marinising Engines

Hello Tony, Please will you let me know of any books I can buy which explain the basics of marinising an engine. I am by trade a bus mechanic but this is a bit out of my league! Thanks, Bernie Hurford.


Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:28pm

Post Subject: Books on Marinising Engines

Dear Bernie, I have not come across any but I suspect there will be some, probably American. I am going to assume that this engine is a modern unit for an inland boat and that you would not be silly enough to consider a cam belt timed engine. The cooling can be done via a skin tank/keel cooler pipes or with a heat exchanger which is usually built into a marine manifold - have a look on the ASAP supplies website. The later case will require an additional raw water pump and provision for drawing river/canal water through the hull and through the heat-exchanger. The former are both forms of water to water "radiators and you will be familiar with the circuit because its is just an normal vehicle one with an "odd" radiator. The engine mounts and feet need changing so they can accept propeller thrust and transmit it to the hull. If it is a popular engine a new flywheel housing that will accept an SAE adaptor plate for bolting the gearbox to the engine may be available off the shelf. If it is not the existing one may need machining or a new one fabricating. Assuming a car or van based engine good practise would be to fit a heavier flywheel or a bulk ring to the existing flywheel. This is needed because we do take power from our engines at idle speed so it helps smooth the idle. Gearbox drive plates that blot to the flywheel are readily available but you will probably have to drill and tap the flywheel to suit. They look a bit like a clutch centre plate but with metal in place of the friction material. The existing crankcase breather system should be OK. Then talk to your FIE specialist in case the marine version needs the injection pump settings altering. Now if you have just happened to have found a Gardiner stashed away somewhere the same basic steps apply but I think finding the parts will be far harder. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.