Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pendave
pendave

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:57pm

Post Subject: Inverter

Help!When out on the cut and we put the toaster on in the morning,the Inverter posertive cable gets hot,do I require a thicker cable,if so do I just change the negative & posertive cables ? best regards Dave & Penny

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:09pm

I assume you are talking about the battery to inverter cables - it's amazing how many people think that AC electricity uses positive & negative! First of all check to see if the heating is localised around a terminal (both ends) or along the whole length. As you only mention the positive cable I suspect its may be a loose or badly fitted terminal, if it were cables then as both cables should be the same size I would have expected you to say "positive & negative cables get hot". If it is localised towards a terminal ensure the actual terminal is man enough for the current it has to carry and then make sure it is crimped tightly to the cable with no sings of burning. Make sure the terminal nuts/screws are tight. If the whole cable heats up then please change BOTH cables for heavier ones. I can not help you with size because I do not know the lengths or current being carried. Both sets of notes on my website give you the calculation and aim for less than 0.5V of volt drop. (www.TB-Training.co.uk). Tony Brooks

pendave
pendave

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:00pm

many thanks for the your help best regards

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.