Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
annie2
annie2

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:35am

Post Subject: head height

My family are all tall 6ft -6ft 4ins.We are looking to buy a used narrow boat but we don't know which narrow boat builders cater for this height.Adverts rarely specify head height.Can anyone advise.Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:46pm

I very much doubt any do so specifically and in any case most "narrowboat builders" are no such thing only doing the fitting out. British Waterways publish a "standard profile" with which any new boat should comply. This and the somewhat shallow nature of the lesser used canals means that your particular problem needs addressing at the hull design and build stage. If you were willing to accept a 3ft draft I am sure the headroom would be no problem in a standard deep draft hull but if you want trouble free cruising my advice would be to stick to the modern practise with a 2ft to 2ft 6in draft. This means that either the roof may then be raised above the profile to accommodate the height or the floor needs lowering. The former may well put the hull outside the profile so you might have problems in certain bridges or tunnels so the latter may be the best way forward. Cruising narrowboats require rather a lot of ballast to get them to sit low enough in the water and if you can dispense with this the floor can be lowered by perhaps 2 inches (I am over 6ft and have no trouble in a standard narrowboat but getting out of some trad stern ones can be a pain!)providing the scantlings will still comply with the Recreational Craft Directive. You would need a much thicker bottom plate so instead of 10mm you might use 20mm to pull the boat down into the water but you could then have a lower than normal floor. I suspect a typical narrowboat has the floor between 4 and 6 inches above the baseplate. This may well turn out to be an expensive project and I would advise that you do not do any firm budgets until you have talked this through with several Fitters and their chosen hull builders. Now I know none of the above help you with a used boat but now I have explained it you will see that probably no one specifically builds high headroom boats a such. Anyone contemplating buying their first boat should spend the whole of one summer looking over boats to ensure they know just how much junk is on the market and to ensure the boat really suits them. Never take the means to pay for a boat or a deposit on your first visit. Then start looking in earnest at the end of the season when prices usually drop a little. Please do NOT even contemplate buying without a survey. Tony Brooks

canalboat
canalboat

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:07am

Annie Height is no bar to boating, I'm and inch or three over 6ft and have been in an out of many boats. Boat builders are well aware of six-footers and quite a few boats I've been on have had their floors lowered to give decent headroom inside. What you do need to watch out for is the size of entrances and the positioning of steps; make sure the doors at the front have a large enough opening so that you don't bang your head going in and out, and that the steps at the back are positioned to give you easy access down into the boat without having to be a contortionist which is the case on a few boats I've been on. Have fun

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.