Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
minnowboy
minnowboy

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:25pm

Post Subject: Central Heating

Our recently purchased narrowboat has a Eberspacher D5W compact diesel boiler what ratio of antifreeze/water do I top up the header tank with. Many Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:27pm

Dear Richard, The standard reply must always be that you consult the manufacturer - usually via the manual. However I know that is not very helpful but it protects both myself and the magazine from potential claims. The following tends to be true across a range of similar boilers. Typically the recommendation will be 30% although if it needs topping up frequently and you can not find a leak I would advise 50% so you can top up with water during the life of the antifreeze without the concentration dropping below 20%. Now I am concerned that you specify topping up and not changing. The antifreeze component will probably last for years but the most important job the antifreeze dos is to inhibit corrosion and its the corrosion inhibitors that get "used up". Depending upon type antifreeze solution should be changed every two or every five years so starting with a secondhand boat I must advise that you drain, flush and refill the system with new antifreeze solution. You must also take care not to mix the antifreeze coloured blue/green with that coloured red/orange/purple. They are incompatible and may coagulate if mixed. I think both types are available in either two year or long life antifreeze. Tony Brooks

minnowboy
minnowboy

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:18pm

Thanks very much for the info Tony,I now have a new addition to my 'must do' list Richard

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.