Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
superlativ
superlativ

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:32pm

Post Subject: stove heater/boiler

We are new to narrowboating... & have purchased 1986 Dartline 54' narrowboat. It needs totally refitting, we are not shy on doing any of the work but the heating has left us asking a few questions. Could anyone tell us if there is a particular spec a multifuel stove/boiler needs to be at to pass a BSC? & is there anywhere that is recommended for purchase & fitting (we are on dryland near Huddersfield). We have found one on ebay at a reasonable cost & wondered if it would be suitable. Can anyone help Please? Many Thanks, Jacky & Del

stove heater/boiler
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:04am

Dear Jacky & Del, at present the BSS says nothing about stoves apart from the surrounds should be checked for charring. However during the last year a new British Standard has been published covering the fitting and it is BS8511. There has been a draft one floating around on the net which is very different from the final version so perhaps your library can help. Now, as soon as I see Ebay & stoves mentioned alarm bells ring because it almost certainly means that you are buying on price and not fitness for purpose. If the stove is made form cast iron the quality of the castings (freedom from stress and internal imperfections) is all. Get a cheap one from the far east and it may crack on the first firing or even after a year or so of use. Then you would have little come back apart from buying another one. Boiler plate (mild steel) fabricated stoves may distort if they run away and one built down to a price is more likely to do this that a reputable make. BS EN 13240 may help ensure the quality. Even if you comply with the minimum clearances given in BS8511 please do not tile onto a combustible material for the surround. Tile onto something like Masterboard or Asbestolux which are non-combustible. Tony Brooks

superlativ
superlativ

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:38am

Thanks Tony... we will contact the chap who is doing our safety certificate & check which appliances we should avoid. Thanks again,

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:47am

A BSC examiner is not tasked with passing comment on the worth of stoves or any other equipment. He is tasked to ensure that the equipment you fit will comply with the BSS. At present I would expect any stove, however shoddy, to comply as long as its case & glass were intact. He will check the surrounding area for signs of charring but that has nothing to do with make of stove. If he does pass comment it can only be on the basis of his personal opinion unless the BSS has issued a notice to him and as far as I am aware they have not done so for any solid fuel stoves. As of today you can fit any stove you like and as long as the surround does not char, you have sufficient ventilation and the flue is fume tight the BSS has nothing to say on the issue. I would suggest that you will need nothing larger than a 4kW stove and having a back boiler and radiators will help spread the heat throughout the boat, especially if it is a side corridor layout. Other than that it is down to you to ensure the stove is of a quality that will not demand replacement within a few years. I am very happy with my Stovax Brunell on the boat but have found another similar sized stove at home to perform appealingly, however I am not about to name the company on a public forum. Luckily I have not seen their products in any chandlers.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:50am

Note - spell chucker slip up:- appealingly should read appallingly. TB

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.