Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
djwright
djwright

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:46pm

Post Subject: Calorifier

I have just connected my Calorifier to my engine,does it matter whether the Outlet from my Engine is connected to the top or bottom entry port on the Calorifier? I have recenttly purchased this boat and the Calorifier was installed but not connected. Since i have connected it The Calorifier pipe work does not get hot and the Engine quickly overheats in tick over, The water level in the system appears to be fine

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:35pm

Post Subject: Calorifier

Dear David, simply connecting a calorifier in a conventional way should not be capable of making an engine overheat UNLESS you let air into the main cooling system and you have not bled this out. I am assuming yours is a tank cooled narrowboat so have you bled the skin tank? The majority of cooling system installations on narrowboats have a tap or plug close to the top of the skin tank for this very purpose. You also need to make sure your main cooling hoses (the ones at least 1" in diameter) do not loop up or down so they form an airlock in the loop. I have a funny feeling that you may have connected the calorifier in an unconventional way and are now trying to pass the full cooling flow through the calorifier coil. This would only be appropriate on a few direct raw water cooled engines. If you have done this please put everything back as it was and then connect the calorifier as you would a car's interior heater. That is with the hot pipe exiting the cylinder head and the return entering the engine system in what on a car would be the bottom hose feeding into the engine water pump. There are a couple of diagrams in the maintenance notes on my website (TB-training.co.uk). If this is of little help please email me some digi-pics of the calorifier and engine area showing the hoses within the next two weeks. Do not send any after that. I trust this helps and once I am sure you have the calorifier connected correctly and rectified the overheating I may need to explain how to bleed the calorifier circuit of trapped air. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.