Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
fraggle01
fraggle01

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:21am

Post Subject: Ventilation

I am fitting out a new wide beam shell 11ft 6in x 57ft. I will be fitting a wood/coal stove, how many roof mushroom vents will I need to comply?.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:46am

Post Subject: Ventilation

Dear Ian, What sized mushroom vents, how are you going to do the low level ventilation, output of any cooker, hob and other gas appliances and output of the stove? Once you have that information you can go onto the Boat Safety Scheme website and either print out of order the BSS guidance book (in fact if you are fitting out you really should already have it with you). That will tell you how to work it all out. Note that mushroom vents or any other roof vent only provides high level ventilation unless you pipe it down to floor level. The BSS requires you to have half the required ventilation as high level and half as low level. (http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/site/GettheGuid e_7.asp). If you are installing a stove it would be best practise to ensure your installation complies with the new British Standard BS8511. Take care you get the final version because it is very different from the draft that was on the internet. Finally I am a bit concerned that you have to ask this because it seems you are not fitting out to comply with the Recreational Craft Directive and although this is legal as long as you do not attempt to sell it within 5 years (If you do try it is a criminal act) not having the boat CE marked may well reduce its value. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.