Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sidpole
sidpole

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17pm

Post Subject: Hydraulic drive

I have a hydraulic drive system and it is quite noisy when selecting forward or reverse. The directional valve is closed centre and I wonder if changing it to open centre would cure the noise as the system pressure is over 1500 psi when engine is at idle and the boat is in neutral. An open centre valve would allow the pressure to be much reduced as the hydraulic oil would be passed to the reservoir without any resistance.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:15am

Post Subject: Hydraulic drive

Copy of reply I sent elsewhere for the benefit of our readers:- Dear Mr Pole,cWhoever designed your system seems to have a common sense deficit. Unless the "neutral" valve position returns oil to the reservoir with minimal restriction you will get noise, overheated oil, a strained pump drive and needless fuel consumption. In fact the idea of simply blocking the pump output and thus forcing the PRV to operate in order to obtain a "neutral" is so "off the wall" to me I wonder if the valve has been replaced by a boater who just got one that looked the same or if there has been some misconnection. I use to teach Power Hydraulics for the MOD and I have never come across a system such as you describe. Check the connections and if they are OK change the valve BUT it is unlikely, but possible, that the valve may have an extra "return" port and if so this will need connecting to the reservoir.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.