Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
waterman
waterman

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:00pm

Post Subject: Fuel over winter

Is it best to have a full tank of deisel if we lave the boat over winter in a marina, the only occaissional use would be running the engine for 15 mins about 1 a month and the ebersbacher heater at the same time.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:13pm

Full, and please regularly use a water removing additive. From next January at the latest we will be supplied road diesel (derv) dyed red to comply with some EU rule about low sulphur diesel. This will contain a certain percentage of biodiesel and biodiesel will absorb water from the bottom of the tank. This makes it better for diesel bug growth so now it is even more important to minimise the air-gap above the fuel and thus minimise the opportunity for condensation in the tank. Tony Brooks

waterman
waterman

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:30pm

Tony, Thanks for your speedy reply, I have seen Diesel 9â¢1â¢1 additive, can you recommend one easily available in the UK

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:27pm

I use Fuelset to remove the water because it comes in an easy dose container but I am sure Fortron will work just as well. If you ave any hint of contamination by diesel bug then I would use Marine 16. Fuelset and Marine 16 have their own websites and on-line ordering service. All three are sold in chandlers. I am sure there are others just as good though. Tony Brooks

waterman
waterman

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:32am

Thanks Tony, will try one of your recommendations.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.