Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
blavster
blavster

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:45pm

Post Subject: Cutlass / stern gland bearing.

Hi Tony, I have my narrowboat out of the water and am in the process of trying to change the bush / bearing that the prop shaft runs in when leaving the hull. There's a good 2-3mm of play when waggling the prop shaft and it lets in too much water. It's been a bit of a pig so far, coupler being too big for space its in, angle grinding bolts off, making one off tools and pullers, etc. However, I'm confident I can fit it all back together if I can find a replacement bush/ bearing. It seems to be an odd size. The prop shaft is 1.5" diameter and the stern gland measures 48mm ID. This only gives roughly 5mm wall thickness for the bush / bearing. The one that came out is a simple brass sleeve. The boat was built in 1985, and I suspect this has never been changed, given what a pain its been. Do you think I can fit a more modern style cutlass bearing, or will I have to replace with something similar given the space limitations? I've looked on line and can't find anything to suit. Any advice would be great. Cheers, Ben Lavender

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:12pm

It is only in recent years that some builders have started fitting rubber Cutless bearings to narrowboats. I would never use one for canal work because of the wear I fear from running it lubricated by canal mud soup. I am sure a local jobbing engineers could turn you a new bush up from bronze/brass or even a plastic. I also think any yard that does regular work on stern gear will have contacts for the supply of such bushes etc. Tony Brooks

Ken
Ken

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:02pm

Try contacting jim wilson, who can manufacture most things narrowboat!! email, jameswilson283@btinternet.com Have dealt with him on a few occasions, a great help. Ken.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.