Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
minnowboy
minnowboy

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:57pm

Post Subject: Sterling pro ChargeD 1230CED Battery Charger

Excuse my ignorance,our new boat has a Sterling pro Charge D 1230CED battery charger.Having read the blurb numerous times I'm still unsure if we can leave it connected to a landline for long periods (ie overwinter) to keep the batteries charged.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:24pm

Dear Richard, I have been unable to trace the exact reference you give on the Sterling Website but from what I can gather it should be perfectly safe to leave the charger permanently connected for long periods PROVIDING you ensure that it is set to the type of batteries that you use. A few people hold that this type of charger can damage batteries if left running for long periods and if it is capable of doing an equalisation charge on wet open cell batteries it might make them require topping up a bit more then "normal" but it should not damage them. If you want to be super cautious then run it on and the off month and month about but it should be fine running 24/7 for the whole winter. Tony Brooks

minnowboy
minnowboy

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:37pm

Thanks Tony a great help

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.