Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
nick1965
nick1965

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:08pm

Post Subject: Moorings

I am new to boating and intend to buy for long term residence. How can I find moorings please? This shall be in the Bath area. I have heard that I do not need a long term mooring but can buy a long term licence and move every two weeks. I appreciate your help. Regards, Nick Phillips

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:55pm

Dear Nick, Yes you can declare yourself as a continuous cruiser when you apply for your license and when you do so you will be agreeing to abide by the rules BW lay down. They say that you must be engaged in "navigation" from place to place. NOT bridge to bridge. There is a question over how far one has to move every two weeks or less as decreed at any particular location but if BW decide you are not complying with their condition they can refuse to license your boat and then, if you do not remove it from their waters get a court order and take it from you. My best advice is not to get involved with bridge to bridge "travelling" but to get a proper mooring that you can declare to BW when you license your boat. Just to make the situation for you worse you seem to have decided that you want to be in arguably one of the worst places on the system for those doing as you describe. This mean you may not be able to find moorings and from what I hear some of the land based locals may have been showing their thoughts on those apparently "working the system". If you intend to live within the rules and regulations living on a boat is a lifestyle choice and is NOT usually CHEAPER than land based accommodation. Please take care, I fear you have had some poor or very partial advice. Tony Brooks

nick1965
nick1965

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:08pm

Dear Tony, Many thanks for your help with moorings. I am going to attain a live aboard mooring at a marina when available. Expensive I know, and as you coorctly say, its a lifestyle thing. With my best regards, nICK pHILLIPS

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.