Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
myrobella
myrobella

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:24pm

Post Subject: Inverter/ generator

I have a 2.5kw combi inverter, it has 50amp charger, what size generator would I need to run this.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:25pm

Post Subject: Inverter/ generator

Dear John, the honest answer is that I do not know and ask the makers. If we assume an 80% inverter efficiency then the inverter will require an input of over 3kW. the charger will require something like another 650 Watts making 3.65 kW. Now have to consider the power factor because we are dealing with AC and typical power factors are normally said to be about 0.8 so that makes it about 4.6 kW to drive everything flat out but you will rarely be driving it all flat out so it should work with a smaller generator but you must consider how you will actually use it and what size generator is actually required rather than what is required in theory based on a lot of unknowns and assumptions. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.