Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
asaunders
asaunders

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:52pm

Post Subject: Flat Bottom Boats or Inverted Bottom canal boats

Hello, I am new to boating and looking for a canal boat, I recently looked at one which swayed from side to side in weather conditions on movement on the boat, the owner said it was typical on an inverted bottom. What are the benefits of inverted vs flat bottoms. I did feel a little quesy on the boat, how on earth can I tell people I felt sea sick on a canal!!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:11pm

Post Subject: Flat Bottom Boats or Inverted Bottom canal boats

I am afraid I have no idea what you mean by an inverted bottom. A few older narrowboats have a sort of tunnel in the centre of their bottom plate directing water to the prop but they should be no more unstable that a flat bottomed boat. If this is a GRP type canal cruiser then it will probably have some form of shallow V bottom but I could never call that inverted. GRP cruisers will tend to move about far more than steel narrowboats because they carry far less ballast. A 50ft narrowboat probably has close to 8 tons of ballast sitting on its baseplate and that helps with the stability. If the boat was very short (say under about 30ft) with very fine swims at front and back it will also tend to sway about more than longer boat or one with stubby swims. I need to know exactly what you have been given to believe what an inverted bottom actually is before I can say more. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.