Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
tillywitch
tillywitch

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:33pm

Post Subject: Solo Cruising

Hello, we have been hiring boats for several years now and are going to take the plunge and buy on. My question is this: I will have to pilot the barge by myself alot of the time. Whilst I do both the steering or the locks under normal circumstances, is it possible without too much trouble to man a barge through locks singlehanded?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:20pm

If by "barge" you mean narrowboat then yes, hundreds do it. Take your time, do not rush and always make sure you have one long line ashore so you can pull the boat about. If by "barge" you really mean a barge then I have some concerns over it's weight and windage making handing on the ropes hard work. Tony Brooks

tillywitch
tillywitch

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:31am

Thanks for that. Yes, I did mean narrowboat. There will never be a 'hurry' situation (I hope) so I will take my time and hopefully share most locks. Now....who is the best narrowboat builder?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:32pm

Now you have worried me, in case you are thinking of buying new. The majority of experienced owners advise that you initially buy secondhand because typically your first boat will turn out to have a number of limitations when used for a significant period of time. I would add that in the present economic climate you have to be very careful about the contract, deposit and stage payments when buying new. There are a few acknowledged premium builders but you buy at a premium as well. Personally I would go for one of the mid-range builders that supply boat fitters and hire fleets. The most important thing of all is to get a survey done even if you are buying new BEFORE you make your final payment. Its even more important with secondhand boats. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.